Wednesday, January 13, 2016

"Baby it's cold outside..."



If I don't watch Game of Thrones, am I still aloud to say "Winter is Coming?" For those native to the East Coast, it's been a wonky winter so far. With highs reaching up to almost 70F last month, it's hard to believe the highs for today are only in the 30s. 

I'm a lover of all things winter. I love the chill in the air, and am always wishing for snow on the ground. In fact, how most people feel about summer is how I feel about winter.  If you don't have those lovey dovey vibes towards winter, today is a good day for you. 

Why? I'm going to teach you how to survive these harsh temperatures and freezing winds. 


In order to help you remember these winter necessities, let's work our way down from head to toe.


Don't Lose Your Hat.

 If you are anything like me, your ears tend to turn a gorgeous shade of scarlet once they hit cold air. Then the all too great inner ear pain starts once the wind kicks up. Solution? Beanies. Beanies are probably one of the most fashion forward way to keep warm throughout any season. The biggest beanie trends this season are:

1. The Pom: While pom-pom hats aren't a brand new idea, poms seem to be popping up everywhere. From keychains to sweaters, and now to the classic beanie. A lot of designers are having fun with this simple design. Kate Spade is playing with a "half and half" coloring scheme, while Halogen is playing with Faux Fur

2. The Party in the Front: From the "Bad Hair Day" beanies, to this "Selfie" one from Nasty Gal, sassy saying beanies are definately still in. However, a different take one these hats are here to stay.

 Colabination features a bunch of these alternative styles, with my favorite being this one from Stereotype Co. The mini cassette beanie is the perfect touch to any outfit! A little too much for you? They also feature this "We are Ruthless" beanie, which might just be on my wishlist (;

3. The Slouch: The most classic of all the beanies are the standard slouchy knit beanie. Whether you are an extremist and love the major slouch, or you want to keep it simple there is a beanie for you! I personally love this one from Halogen that has a bit of metallic thread through it, making it just sparkly enough.

Look Away!

I've discussed this before, but it is extremely important to protect your eyes from the sun- especially in winter. If you have any snow in your area, you might have experienced the "holy cow, my eyes!" feeling when you walked outside. 

Light reflects off snow, making the sunlight even harsher to your eyes. Sunglasses, with UV protection, are a must. Ray-Ban makes some of my favorite sunglasses and there is a pair for every face shape. If you have a diamond face shape like me, I suggest a pair of their classic aviators

However, you don't have to spend a pretty penny on sunglasses. Target makes super cute glasses, and a lot of them have some degree of UV protection. 

Make sure you are protecting those baby blues (greens, and browns) this winter.

Heartwarming.

It's really important to keep your upper body warm when you are outside. (Thank you, Captain Obvious) Your core is what readily pumps blood out to your extremities (arms and legs). Once your core cools down, your blood circulation is much slower resulting in cold hands and numb toes. 

There is a bunch of things you can wear to keep your core warm- sweaters, scarves, jackets, layered shirts. But my favorite thing is a leather jacket. Most brands carry a standard leather jacket, but my favorite brand is All Saints

When purchasing any kind of leather, it's important to remember that it is quality over everything else. With quality comes a higher price tag, and that's why I suggest shopping sales and promos! 

If you aren't a supporter of leather, no worries. Vegan leather has become huge this past year. Free People boasts a great selection of jackets that are animal friendly.

I Wanna Hold Your Hand.

Am I the only one who notoriously walks out of the house without mittens? Regular gloves never keep my fingers warm, and forget answering a phone or sending a text. Luckily tech gloves have gotten better during the last couple of years, and most gloves allow you to use your smart phone without having to take your glove off!

Warmth wise, I find that most knit gloves don't always keep my hands warm. That's why I love these leather tech gloves from Nordstrom. They are cute, tech-savvy, and most importantly warm.

Not into how fancy leather gloves look? No worries. The North Face make great tech gloves that are low-key. These gloves are especially great if you like to exercise, or work outside as they are extremely breathable while preventing frozen fingers.

Keep Your Toe in Line. 

Numb toes are probably the worst thing about winter. My feet are always cold, and when I'm going to be out and about, I need to make sure my feet stay warm. 

The best base for warm feet are thick socks. What's great is that you can purchase boot socks almost anywhere! Target has a great selection, if you ask me.

Next step? Boots. During the winter months I am usually wearing a sturdy pair of boots. My favorite pairs come from The Frye Company. While these are a bit pricier, they last forever. My pairs (which I wear multiple times a week) are currently 3 years old and look the same as the day I bought them. 

Another style of boots I love is the Timberland boot. They are classic, durable, and made for all weather. Want something a bit different? New designer Ozapato have their own take on the Timberland boot for a bit less. 

Drown Your Troubles in Coffee.

Ah, at last my favorite category. A warm drink is always with me when I'm running around in the winter. Sure, there is always Starbucks, but I personally love coffee houses. The beans, atmosphere, and company are just better. I thought I'd give you a list of some of my favorite coffee houses in the DMV!

1. Baked & Wired, Georgetown
2. Killer E.S.P, Old Town Alexandria
3. North Side Social, Arlington
4. De Clieu Cafe, Fairfax

D.C. boasts an insane amount of coffee joints, and I am on a mission to try a load more. Some I want to try next? 

1. Zeke's, Rhone Island Ave NE
2. Compass Coffee, 7th St. NW
3. The Coffee Bar, S St. NW
4. Tryst, 18th St. NW

How do you guys survive winter in YOUR city? Any coffee places I'm missing out on? Let me know below!


Until Next Time,

Emily

1 comment:

  1. บริการ สล็อต slot ด้วยระบบเกมใหม่ปัจจุบันของพวกเรา ได้ปรับปรุงแก้ไขให้มีความเสถียรภาพมากยิ่งขึ้น PG SLOT เล่นสล็อตผ่านมือถือ ก็ไม่มีหลุด เล่นได้ทุกระบบปฏิบัติการ จะเล่นโทรศัพท์มือถือเครื่องไหน คอมจำพวกใด

    ReplyDelete

);