Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Update #1: Resolutions

"Put one foot in front of the other, and soon you'll be walking out the door..."


Oh? You thought I was going to say "it's surprisingly easy and I'm loving every bit of it?" Well, no. It wouldn't be a resolution if I didn't have to seriously work on it.  

I wanted to update you guys on how my first month of moderation and self-acceptance went.

Moderation is an amazing mind-set. In theory, it allows you to live how you want without feeling guilty about it. However, the first couple of introductory months can be challenging.

A big part of my focus on moderation is exercising and eating. I've struggled with major body image issues in the past, and even after 5 years of recovery, it can be hard to shake all those feelings. 


Needs Improvement

I wanted to start off with my "Needs Improvement" areas because who doesn't want to end on a good note? (;

At the beginning of the month I was gun-ho on sticking to my plan, but as weeks past I found it hard to remind myself to be moderate. I would justify the extra sugar and then decide to do a mini workout to make myself feel okay about eating the sweets. 

Wrong. 

As I've said before, I tend to be all or nothing. I either want the whole candy bar or I don't want a bite. If I want to go workout, I want to go hard or go home. 

This is not the right mindset for me. While I have never binged and purged in the traditional sense, exercise became a purge for me for a large part of my life.

Associating the need for exercise with food is a dangerous slope, and it's one that I want to flatten. We shouldn't associate food with "good" or "bad," but rather fuel for our bodies. 

When I stuck to my moderation for a couple of days, I would feel extremely happy and proud. However, then I would feel terrible if I had a "treat food." (For example, champagne or cake) I would feel so bad I would say "screw it" and stop following my moderation.

 Which, leads me to this quote:

"Be moderate in everything. Including moderation."- Horace Porter.

I found this quote on Pinterest the other day and fell in love. It helps me to remember this: everything is okay in moderation. But, you have one life to live- and you should live it fully. (See how I avoided saying YOLO? haha)

Proud Moments

While I had some expected struggles my first month, I am genuinely happy with the progress I have made. While I can't say I live fully in moderation, I know I've taken the first step. 

To end things on a positive note, I wanted to share my positive progress in the form of a list. I don't feel the need to expand on each one, as they are pretty straight forward unlike my "Needs Improvement" list. 

1. Feeling OK with only having ONE glass of wine, or ONE piece of something and not being pressured into having another one.

2. Getting up and cleaning or walking when I feel body conscious.

3. Understanding that this is a hard challenge, but one I'm willing to work for.

How are your self-acceptance goals coming along? Any mantras you would like to share? Leave it in the comments below! 

Until Next Time,

Emily

3 comments:

  1. Self acceptance can be so hard! And even if we feel as though we're progressing one week, sometimes all it takes is one little thing to spur a spiral of negative self-talk!

    I'm trying to let myself 'feel' process & let go...and then iterate : I am enough.

    Good luck though! Love that you're documenting your progress as well though - helps to look back and see how far you've come! :)

    All the best, Ana xx

    www.namastefromananya.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. pgslot1234 สล็อตออนไลน์ การพนันหรือเกมคาสิโนในต้นแบบออนไลน์นั้นจะต้องบอกเลยว่าหนึ่งในเกมที่มาแรงที่สุดนั้นจำเป็นที่จะต้องชูให้กับเกมตู้ยอดนิยมอย่าง PG สล็อต อย่างแย้งมิได้

    ReplyDelete
  3. ทางเข้า pg slot 88 แล้วกรอกข้อมูลส่วนตัวของคุณลงในฟอร์มการสมัคร หลังจากนั้นก็เสร็จสิ้นขั้นตอนการสมัครแล้ว PG SLOT คุณจะได้รับชื่อผู้ใช้งานและรหัสผ่านเข้าสู่ระบบจากนั้นคุณก็สามารถเลือกเกมสล็อต

    ReplyDelete

);